I am a member of the Green Liberal Democrats and co-opted onto their executive.
The Green Liberal Democrats regard climate change as one of the biggest challenges of our generation. Countries around the world urgently need to implement the commitments made in 2015 at the UN Climate Change Conference in Paris. Some countries are making significant progress but the UK is currently failing to demonstrate clear political leadership to address the urgent environmental problems facing the planet. The Green Liberal Democrats seek to influence political policies, both within the Liberal Democrats and across the wider political spectrum.
In the local community I will fight for:
- Declare a climate emergency as other Liberal Democrat councils have done. 25% of the population is living in areas where climate has affected their wellbeing and areas of the East Riding are at risk of flooding as sea levels rise due to melting polar ice caps as global
- Clean air – air pollution kills 40,000 people per year in the UK; children exposed to traffic fumes are at the same risk of developing asthma as children exposed to cigarette smoke.
- Ensure new housing exceeds current environmental standards. All older houses should be retro-fitted with insulation and all new houses should be built with solar panels.
- Disinvest from fossil fuels. All council investments (pension funds) should be ethical and environmentally sensitive. There is no place for fracking in a green society – it should be banned. Rescind all licenses for fracking in East Yorkshire.
- Invest in solar and wind generation and battery storage. the UK does not meet its own energy requirements in the late afternoon requiring import of energy from Europe. If excess energy generated during other daylight house was stored, it could be used to negate the need for imports.
- Plant native tree species to mitigate noise, reduce air pollution, improve the outside environment and enhance mental health.
- Encourage the adoption of the circular economy where the value of a product depends on its life years in its original form and whether it can be recycled or repurposed, rather than on a marketing aspiration.
Linda was the only councillor from the East Riding of Yorkshire to attend the climate protest staged by the citizens of Beverley in September 2019.